Summer’s almost over; time to get ready for school
Summer Vacation is coming to a close and school will be starting at the end of the month. Here are some back-to-school tips for parents to do before school starts to get their children ready for the new school year:
* Be sure your child is in good physical and mental health; schedule doctor and dental checkups early.
* Review the material sent by the school as soon as it arrives.
* Mark your calendar and make a note of important dates, especially back-to-school nights.
* Make copies of all your child’s health and emergency information for reference.
* Buy school supplies early. Try to get the supplies as early as possible and fill the backpacks a week or two before school starts.
* Plan to re-establish the bedtime and mealtime routines (especially breakfast) at least 1 week before school starts.
* Turn off the TV and encourage your child to play quiet games, do puzzles, flash cards, color, or read as early morning activities instead of watching television. This will help ease your child into the learning process and school routine.
* If your child is young or in a new school, visit the school with your child before school starts.
* Minimize clothes shopping woes, buy only the essentials and check with your school to confirm dress code guidelines.
* Designate and clear a place to do homework.
* Select a spot to keep backpacks and lunch boxes. Freeze a few easy dinners. It will be much easier on you if you have dinner prepared so that meal preparation will not add to household tensions during the first week of school. (Resource: www.nasponline.org)
* * *
Last chance to sign up! Our library is hosting Health For Life Texas — free classes for people with Diabetes — beginning Thursday, August 8, through Sept. 12, in the evening from 5 to 7 p.m. Sign up for a Diabetes Self-Management Education class and learn how to take charge of your health. In these classes you will learn how to live a healthier life with diabetes: Find out how diabetes affects your body; make sense of your blood sugar numbers; meet others who have diabetes; have fun learning in a small group through games, activities and support conversations; and learn about diabetes through classes located in the community near your neighborhood. A trained instructor leads the class, which meets several times. Your class will be small – probably no more than 20 people. You will have plenty of time to ask questions and learn more from others in your class. To sign up, call Christie King at 936-634-6414 or the library at 936-829-5497. Be sure to mention the Library since these classes are held all over East Texas. These classes are sponsored by the Area Agency on Aging of Deep East Texas.
* * *
Tangled Threads is like an old fashioned sewing circle where everyone brings their own needle crafting project to work on while chatting and sharing tips. Do you crochet, knit, or do any kind of portable craft? Join us for “Tangled Threads” on Tuesday, August 13, from 9:30-11 a.m. Bring your own project to work on while you chat and share tips with each other.
* * *
Hey Teens, the library is hosting a back-to-school event just for you. Come to the library on Aug. 16 after Meet The Jacks and hang out with friends; watch a movie; and eat. This event is for teens ages 12-18 only.
* * *
Family at Movie Day at the Library on Friday, Aug. 23, at 6 p.m. Our theme for the summer is hunger, so we are asking you to bring one can of tomatoes, tomato sauce, Rotel tomatoes, or spaghetti sauce per family, for admission, to be donated to Diboll Christian Outreach. Popcorn will be available. We encourage you to bring your own snacks and drinks to add to your fun. You may also bring pillows and blankets and sit on the floor to watch the movie. Come bring the family and join in the fun! Our movie license will not allow us to publicize the movie title so please call us for more information at 936-829-5497. Children under 12 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
* * *
Summer library hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Have a great week!